The two sides of our brain perceive, feel, and respond very differently from each other, and in essence act as two somewhat independent sub-personalities within us.
Before you toss this idea out, consider these questions: Have you ever known that you should act one way but then find responding very differently?
Have you ever felt strong and confident in one situation but lose your confidence in other situations?
Have you “taken” something very personally only to realize later that it was no big deal?
All of these experiences have in common two very different ways of responding: an emotional more negative-based response in contrast to a logical and more positive based response.
1. The Right Brain
The right side of the brain is best at expressive and creative tasks. Some of the abilities that are popularly associated with the right side of the brain include:
Function of the right brain
- Recognizing faces
- Expressing emotions
- Reading emotions
How works a emotional mind(right side)
- talks in feelings, but often in the negative
- it’s past oriented
- tries all kinds of therapies and abandons them again
- nothing satisfies, is depressive, moody, emotionally unstable and feels sorry for her/him-self
- is self-destructive, always expects the worst
- slow learner to improve inner and physical conditions, often frustrating to others
- many people of this type are very charismatic and extroverted
- they search for fun activities, like painting, making music, work in the garden, being creative. They think of many things simultaneously, start many activities, need a lot of space. Have a high ability to express themselves, are communicative, often spiritual and inventive, inspire others with their ideas and also get easily inspired by others, are wordy and suggestive.
- as a child are difficult to educate, because they often have difficulties in distinguishing between right and wrong. Under duress, they lack a sense of self-identity, are incapable of separating feelings from ideas. It is easy to get into a panic and react with helplessness and little self-control. Under constant stress, obesity and hedonism are a problem. Often they believe in destiny and coincidence, without human intervention. When they have a chronic or life threatening illness, tend to be fatalistic.
- solves problems intuitively, with a sense for the whole. Is open for new ideas and developments, learns from action and observation.
[box type=”shadow” align=”aligncenter” width=”620″ ]The RIGHT BRAIN = feminine energy = controls the left half of the body. Engages with the experience of the present moment, guided by feelings, intuition, imagination and subjective thinking. Creative, impulsive, emotional, thoughtful, and appreciates the beauty of form, movement and sound. It is also representative of the heart because of its ability to comprehend empathy, compassion and to see the bigger picture.[/box]
When the emotional mind is active the person feels less mature/powerful, less confident or competent, more anxious or depressed, and will experience emotions more rooted in the past or their childhood. Emotional mind is more likely to “take” things personally; it feels defined by the problem in a personal way, expressed as personal insults, failure, or incompetence. The emotional mind is often “out of date.” Its experience is based on the past usually prior to a person’s maturation and before the adult self has come into being. This can lead to outwardly capable and competent people feeling insecure and incompetent, which in turn leads to excessive worry and stress.
2. The Left Brain
The left-side of the brain is considered to be adept at tasks that involve logic, language and analytical thinking. The left-brain is often described as being better at:
Function of the left brain
- Critical thinking
How works a logical mind (left side)
- argues logically and always has an answer for everything
- is future oriented
- never has time and races towards a heart attack
- any body awareness is foreign
- ignores any physical symptoms
- is nervous, restless, hectic, wound up, sometimes euphoric
- but learns quickly under direction to improve the condition
- has a tendency towards hypochondria
- doesn’t know what to do with inner visions and feelings
- The left dominant type likes to be in leadership roles and high management positions. They are task oriented, result oriented, like to work with a list of things to be done. In order to be happy, they need success and recognition, but also order and structure. They have a very rigid vision of their own identity and their goals.
- problem-solving approach: the left dominant type solves problems logically, analytically, step by step. Prefers numbers and facts in a logical sequence. Is interested in technology, finances and accounting, learns from dealing with facts. Easy to be hypnotized.
[box type=”shadow” align=”aligncenter” width=”620″ ]The LEFT BRAIN = masculine energy = controls the right side of the body and is adept at language, facts, science, math, strategies, details, following formulas and carrying out instructions. It thinks hierarchically and dualistically, it likes to label and categorize things to understand them. Apparently, the left brain is responsible for the body’s movement towards the right, so when we read from left-to-right our left brain is being activated[/box]
When the logical mind is more dominant in a person they will feel more mature, capable, positive, and able to deal effectively with stressors, conflicts, and problems. The logical mind is more objective and sees problems and people as they are, without much emotion. The problem is just a problem, people usually feel more confident, less threatened, more capable, more “here and now”, and more relaxed.
How to balance your brain hemispheres
Work on the relationship between your two minds. When you are in a focused frame of mind, decide if you a willing to direct your energies toward becoming able to tolerate distressing feelings or memories, impulses, and urges without taking immediate action.
You will need to make a conscious effort to try to be more mature and wise. Toward your troubled side you will need a very caring, patient attitude. If you can help your more troubled mind become a strong, healthy ally, then your life will be remarkably improved. By achieving the balance of our right-left hemispheres, we can end the war of the opposing energies within our own minds. Masculine and feminine can work together in unison. We can be creative and imaginative, and realistic and practical at the same time.
Brain Hemisphere Balancing Techniques
To activate the right brain:
- Take a drawing class;
- Visit art museums;
- Learn to Dance;
- Learn to tell stories;
- Join a “laughter club”;
- Explore techniques for increasing your empathy with co-workers;
- lay games;
To activate the left brain:
- Solve Analock puzzles – This involves anagrams
- Solve crossword puzzles – you will use all 26 letters in the alphabet to solve the puzzle words.
- Solve Number Lockers – a cross word puzzle.
- Solve Add locks – is also another cross word puzzle.