The Top 10 UFO Sightings

This documentary takes an in-depth look into the top 10 UFO Sightings, some of the best available evidence for planet Earth’s visitation by advanced extraterrestrial races. It features a detailed examination of the most credible UFO cases ever recorded, as chosen by a group of the world’s leading UFO researchers.

More then 70 UFO incidents were voted for, these were then assigned  point values and averaged together to find the top 10 UFO sightings.  The following is a brief summary of each of the cited cases.

#10 ― The Battle Over Nuremberg

On April 14, 1561, one of the earliest documented mass sightings of anomalous aerial phenomena took place over a town called Nuremberg in Germany. But this strange event wasn’t just a mass sighting, according to the Nuremberg Gazette (the public journal), numerous men and women witnessed a particularly “frightful spectacle”, as a “dreadful apparition” filled the sky, discs and spheres were reported to have emerged from large cylinder-shaped objects, and then an aerial battle is said to have ensued. The battle was apparently such that a clear victor could be discerned. And near end of the conflict, an enormous, spear-shaped, black object, supposedly appeared on the scene. The Nuremberg case clearly demonstrates that UFOs and even mass sighting are nothing new, and that such occurrences go back at the very least hundreds of years.

#9 ― The Skylab III Sighting

On September 20 1973 the crew of Skylab 3 (the second manned mission to the first American space station) observed a large anomalous bright red flashing object. They watched it for a full 10 minutes and took 4 color photographs. Dr. Owen Garriott (one of the crew members) figured out the object’s distance from the space station and it’s approximate size, by measuring the time delay between when Skylab 3 went into the Earth’s shadow and when the object entered the shadow, this gave him a distance measurement of between 25 and 30 miles, and told him that the object was at least 800 feet in diameter. The sighting was logged in Alan Bean’s (another one of the crew members) personal diary of the flight, written within a few hours of the event. He wrote, “Out the wardroom window we saw a bright red light with a bright/dim period of 10 sec. It got brighter and drifted along with us for 20 minutes or more….it also was moving relative to the stars. It may have been very near. It was the brightest object we’ve seen”

#8 ― The Yukon Sighting

On December 11, 1996, a massive UFO was witnessed by dozens of people in three separate locations along the Klondike highway in Canada’s Yukon territory. The unidentified flying object was estimated to have been nearly a mile in length. The first sighting, which involved six people, occurred at approximately 8:30pm, at Fox lake. The witnesses reported seeing a huge, smooth, solid object, moving slowly and silently, across the frozen lake. The second sighting took place less then half an hour later in the village of Pelly crossing, a two hour drive north of Fox lake. Where another group of witnesses observed the exact same anomalous object. Not long after that, in the village of Carmacks, four men in a truck, and a family of five watching through their living room window, also sighted the object.

#7 ― The Malmstrom Missile Incident

On March 16, 1967, at Malmstrom Air Force Base, an airman at one of the launch centers witnessed a strange luminous object zigzagging above him. Soon afterwards a second object appeared acting in a similar fashion. He then called his supervisor, and the two men observed the anomalous objects maneuvering around in the sky. They subsequently phoned their commander, Lieutenant Robert Salas, who instructed them to continue to observe the objects and to let him know if they came any closer. The mysterious objects did come closer, and minutes later, Lieutenant Salas received a second call. This time Salas was informed that there was a red glowing UFO hovering outside the front gate. Salas woke his commander, Lieutenant Fred Meiwald, and as he was briefing Meiwald, an alarm went off in their capsule and both men watched as a “No-Go” light turned on for one of the missiles, and then seconds later several more missiles went off line in rapid succession.

#6 ― The Shag Harbor Incident

On October 4, 1967, local residents of a small Canadian fishing village in Nova Scotia, known as Shag Harbor, noticed four mysterious orange lights in the sky. At least eleven witnesses reported seeing some form of illuminated object flying at a low altitude towards the bay. The object’s lights were seen to flash in sequence, before it suddenly dove at a 45 degree angle into the icy waters of the harbour, where to the surprise of the onlookers, the lights remained near the surface of the water. The witnesses of this event, thinking that they had seen a plane crash, reported this to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. In a chance occurrence, a RCMP constable, Ron Pound had personally seen the strange lights, and in his testimony, constable Pound stated that he was certain that the four lights belonged to one “craft“, which he estimated to be about 60 feet in length.

#5 ― The Kelly Johnson Case

Kelly Johnson was known as one of the world’s leading aircraft designers. He was in charge of creating the U-2 spy plane for the CIA. On December 16, 1953, the pilot of a Lockheed WV2 aircraft being flown by one of Kelly Johnson’s test crews over Long Beach California encountered a UFO. Almost simultaneously Johnson and his wife who were on the ground in Agoura, California also witnessed the object. Because the plane’s and Johnson’s location were both known, the location of the unknown object could be triangulated exactly. The reported “craft” was estimated to be approximately 200 feet long. It was seen for 6 to 7 minutes while it hovered over the Santa Barbara Channel. The crew spotted the object at roughly the same time as Johnson did, and when they were at about 15,00 feet they decided to close in on it to get a better look. As soon as they did this, the UFO took off at a tremendous speed.

#4 ― The McMinnville Case

On May 11, 1950, Evelyn Trent was walking back to her farmhouse, when she spotted a slow-moving, metallic, disk-shaped object heading in her direction from the northeast. She yelled for her husband Paul, who was inside the house, he came outside and saw the object. After a short time he went back inside the house to get a camera. He managed to take two photos of the object before it sped away to the West. During the Air Force funded investigation of UFO reports at the University of Colorado in 1967-1968
called the “Condon Report”, photo analyst William Hartmann studied in detail photographic and verbal evidence presented by two former residents of McMinnville, Oregon, Paul and Evelyn Trent. He concluded, mainly on the basis of a simplified photometric analysis, that “all factors investigated, geometrical, psychological and physical, appear to be consistent with the assertion that an extraordinary flying object, silvery, metallic, disk shaped, tens of meters in diameter and evidently artificial, flew within sight of two witnesses.”

#3 ― The Rendlesham Forest Incident

On December 26, 1980, military personnel at the twin bases of RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge, in Suffolk, England, saw strange lights in the forest. Thinking an aircraft might have crashed, they went out to investigate. What they found was a small triangular-shaped craft that had landed in a clearing in Rendlesham Forest. One of the security police officers, Jim Penniston, got close enough to touch the side of the object. He and another of the airmen present, John Burroughs, attached sketches of the craft to their official USAF witness statements. Two nights later, the UFO returned. The Deputy Base Commander, Lt Col Charles Halt, was informed and together with a small group of men, they went out into the forest to investigate. As they progressed, radio communications were subjected to interference and the powerful mobile generators that Halt had brought to illuminate the forest began to cut out. Subsequently Halt and his team encountered the UFO, which at one point reportedly fired a laser-like beam down on the group and onto the Woodbridge Facility.

#2 ― The Tehran Incident

On September 19, 1976, at approximately 12:30 AM, the Imperial Iranian Air Force command post at Tehran received four reports by telephone from civilians in the Shemiran city district, of unusual activity in the night sky. The reports described an object similar to a star, but much larger and brighter. When the command post failed to find any helicopters in the air that would account for the reports, they called the assistant deputy commander, General Yousefi, who initially said that the object was only a star, but after talking to the people in the control tower at Mehrabad International Airport and seeing the very bright and very large object for himself, he decided to scramble a F-4 Phantom II jet fighter, which proceeded to a point 40 nautical miles north of Tehran. The object was noted as being of such brilliance, that it could be seen from 70 miles away. When the aircraft came within 25 nautical miles of the UFO, the jet lost all instrumentation and communication capabilities, prompting the pilot to abort the intended intercept and return to base. Later a second F-4 was scrambled, which lead to a similar outcome.

#1 ― The RB-47 Encounter

On July 17, 1957, an Air Force RB-47, equipped with electronic counter-measures (ECM) gear and manned by six officers, was followed by an unidentified object for a distance of well over 700 miles, and for a time period of 1.5 hr., as it flew from Mississippi, through Louisiana and Texas and into Oklahoma. The mysterious object was, at various times, seen visually by the cockpit crew as an intensely bright light, and was tracked by ground-radar and detected on ECM monitoring gear aboard the RB-47. As the RB-47 moved over Texas, the highly luminous object appeared and began to follow the aircraft. Major Chase (one of the crew members) contacted radar station Utah, at Duncanville, Texas, confirming that their radar had also detected the object. The UFO continued to play tag with the RB-47, which had left it’s scheduled flight path to pursue the strange object. Until the aircraft began to run low on fuel and had to head back to base. The UFO followed the aircraft and the signal eventually faded as the jet approached Oklahoma city.

By Padraig Williams | Staff Writer

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors/source and do not necessarily reflect the position of CSGLOBE or its staff.

Paid content

What's New Today