The hactivist group Anonymous released a video last month threatening to launch an “Electronic Holocaust” against the Israeli government.
The cyber shutdown, which would aim to interfere with the operation of websites and various social media accounts, is set to take place on Tuesday, April 7th.
Anonymous claims that the “Electronic Holocaust,” as it has been dubbed by the notorious hacker/activist collective, is a mark of retaliation for Israel’s “crimes against the Palestinian people,” including “endless human rights violations,” and “illegal settlements,” as stated in the video.
Apparently, this is the fourth year in a row that Anonymous has threatened Israel with a cyber shutdown, but so far the attacks have proved unsuccessful in causing any tremendous damage.
Thus, Israeli officials are said to not be taking the threats too seriously.
In a recent article released by Newsweek, Benjamin T. Decker, a geopolitical security analyst at The Levantine Group in Tel Aviv, says of the threatened ‘Electronic Holocaust,’
“For the most part, this is posturing. This is actually the fourth year that Anonymous has carried out this #OpIsrael and called on their supporters to erase Israel from the internet.”
Decker further confirms in the article that Israeli government officials are not sweating the impending cyber attacks.
It is yet to be determined what will come of the threats, however. But what can be said is this: the given nickname of the operation, “Electronic Holocaust” is rather deplorable because it makes reference to Hitler’s ACTUAL Holocaust during WWII, which was one of the most horrendous atrocities in the history of the World as we know it.
On the same token, the Israeli government is continuing to commit atrocities against the Palestinian people — day after day, year after year, and is rarely held accountable for their actions.
So we can’t say we’d shed too many tears if the Israeli government was granted the nuisance of a cyber shutdown, for what Israeli analysts claim would be only a few short hours.