EarthShip: Radically Sustainable Buildings
“. . . the Earthship is the epitome of sustainable design and construction. No part of sustainable living has been ignored in this ingenious building.”
Earthships can be built in any part of the world, in any climate and still provide electricity, potable water, contained sewage treatment and sustainable food production.
For the reasons that follow, we believe Earthships can actually change the world. See for yourself!
- Reduce and even eliminate your utility bills.
- Get ALL of your electricity from the sun and the wind.
- Catch water from the sky for drinking, bathing, cleaning, showering, washing, flushing, etc.
- Contain and treat ALL of the sewage you produce in a healthy and beautiful way.
- Maintain comfortable temperatures in your building ALL year long, in any climate. Reduce or even eliminate your heating and cooling bills[/checklist]
1. Sustainable does not mean primitive
When people hear about sustainable, off-the-grid living, they usually picture primitive homes divorced from the comforts of the 21st century. And rightfully so, as most sustainable solutions proposed until now have fit that description. Earthships, however, offer all of the comforts of modern homes and more. We’ll let these pictures do the talking…
2. Free Food
Each Earthship is outfitted with one or two greenhouses that grow crops year-round, no matter the climate. This means you can feed yourself with only the plants growing inside of your house. You can also choose to build a fish pond and/or chicken coop into your Earthship for a constant source of meat and eggs.
Earthship wetlands, the planters that hold hundreds of gallons of water from sinks and the shower are a great place for raising some of the fresh produce you’d like to have in the winter, but find expensive or bland tasting from the supermarket.