Clarence House confirmed that the 71-year-old royal had been diagnosed with the COVID-19 disease in a statement released this morning.
Prince Charles, is displaying mild symptoms “but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual”, a spokesman said.
The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus.
In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.
The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.
It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.
Charles’s last public engagement was on March 12, but he did have a number of private meetings with Highgrove and Duchy individuals, all of whom have been made aware.
Prince Albert of Monaco, who tested positive earlier this month, was in the same room as Charles at a WaterAid event in London on March 10.
A source said his doctor’s most conservative estimate was that the prince was contagious on March 13.
A small number of people living and working at Birkhall are remaining at the residence and self-isolating.
Charles has spoken to his sons the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex, as well as the Queen.