Scientists have invented a new low-cost method to create a safe welding flame using water as its only fuel
Called the Safeflame, the device splits water in oxygen and hydrogen, recombining them both outside of the torches mouth to create fire. And the only by product is water.
The SafeFlame device generates hydrogen and oxygen gases using just water and an electrical input. These gases can be combusted in a brazing torch and offer advantages as an alternative to oxy-acetylene and oxy-propane.
SafeFlame technology comprises three separate features which together represent a major advance in the industry.
- The oxygen and hydrogen are generated separately, and their mixture is controlled to deliver a precise stoichiometric, oxidising or reducing flame – an innovation offering unique benefits in brazing applications.
- The length of the flame and the heat flux imparted to the work piece can be adjusted instantaneously by adjusting the power input to the electrolyser stack – this provides a more flexible and user friendly solution.
- The SafeFlame approach eliminates the need for any stored gases, removing explosion hazards and improving process portability.
- High flame temperature, high heat flux but uniform heat transfer
- Quiet operation, silent flame
- Powered from a standard 230V electricity supply
- Easy to use
- Very simple to operate
- Excellent quality joints can be achieved easily
- Less likely to overheat or melt work-pieces
- Manoeuvrable, portable, transportable
- Inherently safe
- Easily seen flame
- Burner remains cool to touch
- Ultra low emissions
- No gas cylinders on site
- No flashback, lift-off or explosion hazards
- No danger to fire service personnel
- Suitable for brazing numerous materials
- Copper, aluminium, steel
- HVACR, automotive and aerospace applications
- Flame stoichiometry can be adjusted
- Low running costs
- Very low electricity costs for typical brazing operations
- Very low water consumption rate
- Good payback periods compared with oxy-acetylene
- Avoids the insurance costs associated with transporting gas cylinders
- Avoids the downtime costs of obtaining/changing gas cylinders
- No need to buy oxygen
Source | SafeFlameProject